Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Hoppipolla


Hoppipolla is the only piece and the only song that made me cry from the moment I heard of it.
Last night, my elder brother and I watched this movie entitled, “Penelope” staring Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Reese Witherspoon, Richard E. Grant, and Catherine O’Hara. The movie as what I have read from Wikipedia, is about Penelope Wilhern, a young woman from a well-bred and wealthy family with all the qualities to make an excellent match for any other well-bred man of her status. However, the one thing that sets her apart is her face, which, in fact, resembles that of a pig. This was a curse set on her family generations ago, and the only way to break the curse is for one of her kind to accept her for what she is.
James McAvoy(who plays Max Campion”/Johnny Martin) in the movie, played the “Hoppipolla”, a piece and song by Sigur Ros, is an Icelandic post-rock band with melodic, classical, and minimalist elements. The band is known for its ethereal sound and lead singer Jónsi Birgisson’s falsetto voice.
From the very moment I heard of Hoppipolla, I cried so hard. The music really is for the soul. It digged my heart so deeply that I can’t stop thinking about it. I can’t even stop hearing the music from my ears even without the real music around whenever I am alone. Then again, I cried so hard. I searched for all the details about this wonderful piece, and now, I’m learning to play it on piano. It is quite hard, but I won’t lose anything by trying, right? I really love this. This is the only piece that made me cry so hard. I cried not because of the Penelope movie, nor the scene wherein my ever-fave Scottish actor, James McAvoy, who played Mr. Tumnus in Narnia, the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, one of the leads of Penelope, and the leading man of Atonement, who played Hoppipolla in such a beautiful and charismatic scene. It is about how the music dwells in your heart, and on how the notes flow to its places. For all the movies I watched, I never knew that in every part where I cried so hard, plays Hoppipolla. My passion…my heart…my soul..I couldn’t die without learning and mastering this piece in piano. So help me God.
Want to hear it? Want to experience the dwellness of music? Try to listen to this.

Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros

No comments: